Miso and Potato Soup with Crispy Chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white miso paste
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 2 large Idaho® Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3-4 cups chicken stock
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Heat oven to 400ºF. In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil and 1 teaspoon miso paste. Add the chickpeas and mix to coat. Spread on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over low heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in the miso paste.
- Add the potatoes to the pot and pour in enough stock to cover the potatoes. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Let simmer until the potatoes are just fork tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer half of the soup to a blender; blend until smooth. Repeat with remaining soup.
- Serve topped with scallions and crispy chickpeas.